Monday, April 21, 2014

Not a bad week over all

I didn't get to run as often as I wanted (or needed to) but I did manage to get in a long run of 9 miles on Saturday.  I have been very worried the last few weeks that I have not been able to get a long run in due to the pain in my foot from PF.  However, this last Saturday, I just told myself to deal with it.  I taught Body Step at 9:30 am and then left from the gym to do the run immediately following class.  I run north on Hwy 1 to Newport Road, turned west on Newport for about a half mile and then turned around and came back.  It took me 1:37 to do the run but I was not going for speed.  Indeed, I averaged about a 10:50 min/mile pace.  The way out was predominately uphill but the wind was at my back.  I felt pretty good considering I had only eaten an apple before class.  I walked for 0.1 miles at mile three and then again for another 0.1 miles at the turn around point.  At mile 6 and 7 I did the same thing.  It was just enough of a break to keep me moving.  I began to feel the effects of not having enough calories  by mile 7.5.  At mile 8 I was literally asking myself out loud what I was thinking.  I began to have serious doubts as to whether I could run this marathon.  The only thing that kept me somewhat positive was that I knew I was feeling this way because I hadn't eaten and not because I wasn't able to go the distance.  Also, teaching a one hour cardio class before the run was probably not the smartest thing to have done at this point in training.

  I ran with compression socks for the first time and noticed a huge improvement in recovery.  I am barely sore.  I will be running with those socks for each and every long run I do.

As it was the first real sunny and warm day in which I have run so far this year, I also forgot to put on sunblock.  I got my first and hopefully last sunburn of the year.  Last lesson learned from Saturday's run: wear anti-chafe cream.  I was a bit chaffed in some awkward places.

I would have liked to have had one more short run in for the week but that is just the way things worked out.  I ran 4 miles on Thursday and the 9 miles on Saturday.  I also got in 1000 yards at the pool and taught 4 classes - 2 Body Pump, 1 Body Attack, and 1 Body Step.

This week I have 5 classes scheduled.  I would also like to get at least 2000 yards in at the pool and three runs - 2 four milers and one 9 or 10 miler.  I will have to do my long run on Friday since I teach both Body Pump and Body Step back to back on Saturday.
Lastly, I have managed to lose about 3 pounds.  I have a long way to go but it's a start. 

No comments:

Post a Comment