Monday, April 28, 2014

Another week closer...

Last week was a pretty good week.  I didn't run as much as the week before but I got more swimming and group ex classes in.  I'd rather be running more but with my teaching schedule, I just can't do more than I am.  I am not worried about the cardio aspect of the race at all.  What worries me is the pounding my joints and muscles will have to endure. 
Last week I ran four miles on Wednesday - two of them in the rain and then I ran 7 miles on Saturday.  Saturday morning, I taught both Body Pump and Body Step but instead of going immediately out and running, I went home, put some calories into my body and rested for a few hours.  When I started my run, I was looking for every excuse not to run - my legs felt heavy, my heel hurt (a lot), etc...  It took me almost a mile to get into the groove a bit.  Michelle had already been running for about 30 minutes and called me when she was 2.5 miles out to let me know she had stashed water near Weber Elementary School if I needed it.  I didn't.  I was wearing my running belt with water.  We met on Rohret Road about a mile later going opposite directions.  She asked me how far I was planning on running and I said a total of about 5 but maybe six.  She continued back toward home and I kept going out.  By the time I hit the 2.5 mile mark (which is at the crest of Rohret hill #1) I was feeling pretty good and decided to run the hill.  Rohret hill is huge.  I made it down without any problems but going up was slow.  I managed to run the whole thing but my legs were on fire by the time I got to the top.  Right before the 3.5 mile point (my turn around point), a man working in his front lawn nodded at me and asked me how I was doing.  I told him that I was fine and just about to head back.  A couple of minutes later, as I passed him again, he notice me drinking from my water bottle and asked if I was okay with water.  I told him thanks but I was fine.  This is one reason I love living in Iowa.  People generally really are concerned about each other.
It was also about this time that I realized that I was chaffing rather badly under my right arm where my arm was rubbing against my tank top.  This has happened before - most notably at the Lake Geode Challenge when I finished the race with my arms held out from my sides.  However, I hadn't worn this tank in months and had forgotten about this problem.  I had remembered to put Body Glide everywhere else but not my arms.  I managed to get hold of Michelle about a mile later and asked her to meet me with some diaper cream.  Thankfully, she got to me by mile five of my run and I slathered on the anti-rash cream.  The last two miles of the run went fairly well once I wasn't obsessing on the pain caused by the rash.  Post run I felt pretty good but even though I stretched well, I had some mobility problems with my ankles and my heel was not happy either.  By yesterday, I felt great. There was no residual pain from the run. 
If I manage to leave work before it rains today, I will try to get a few miles in.  If it rains, I will at least swim.  The forecast for this week is pretty wet and gray.  Since I will be teaching three classes on Saturday, I am going to try to get my long run (at least 10 miles) in on Thursday.

No comments:

Post a Comment