Sunday, March 23, 2014

There are less than 3 months to go.

It has been two weeks since I wrote an update.  It has been an up and down two weeks. For the week ending on the 15th, I only got in eight miles running total.  I had four miles that Tuesday, only two on Thursday, and on Saturday, I also only managed two.  Saturday's run was actually the first running of the Shamrock Shuffle here in Iowa City.  I figured that I would run the race (I ran it in a slow 18:40 or 45, I don't remember for sure) and then run another 5 miles that afternoon.  I didn't but there is a reason.  I have Plantar Fasciitis.  It hurts.  I have had it before and the pain always went away once I stretched and got moving.  This time (and other heel) the pain never goes away.  Sometimes it is less than at others but it is always nagging.  I began to worry that maybe this was something other than just PF.  My wife suggested that it might be a stress fracture and that I probably should get it X-ray'd.  I couldn't get into see the sports med doctor for a week (my appointment is tomorrow) so I got an appointment with family practice and got it imaged.  The good thing is that the X-ray showed no signs of a stress fracture but did see evidence of edema around the heel.  No more excuses for me.  I just needed to get out and run.  However, I have been hurting so badly this week that running has been more daunting than usual and I didn't get out until I made myself do so yesterday.  Yesterday's run was 6.2 miles.  It was great.  I ran north on Hwy 1 from NDAC to Rapid Creek Rd, then up Rapid Creek Rd to NE Lynden Heights Rd.  That road goes mainly south until it bends to the east and turns into NE 340th St.  I ran up 340th until I hit Taft road and turned around.  It was a great run with some hills that were challenging.


 I ran a pretty slow pace and really concentrated on technique again.  I guess the good thing about PF is that I can't land on my heel - it just hurts too much.  I am learning how to run with a mid-foot strike.  At first, doing so created a lot of calf pain but yesterday, I felt great.  It was a little cold (temps were in the upper 30's with a stiff breeze) for this time of year but I was dressed appropriately and actually had to unzip my pullover.

Totals for the week:
Running - 6.2 miles
Classes - one Body Pump, one Body Attack, and 15 minutes of Zumba.
Swimming - 1250 yards

I have also been cataloging all my food intake using an app called My Fitness Pal.  It is helping me focus on how much I am eating. Every day this week, I have been under calories.  I worry because it says I should be consuming 2640 calories per day.  I think that is the limit if I want to maintain my current weight but I need to lose 25 pounds.  I will continue to use this app and see if it helps me lose weight.  I am down 2 pounds but we'll see if this really works.

Goals for this coming week:
Running - 13 miles
Classes - 3 Body Pump, 1 Body Attack
Swimming - 3000 yards

No comments:

Post a Comment