Friday, February 28, 2014

Working through it

Yesterday wasn't a great food day.  Actually, it was pretty good until after work.  I have been trying to make a more concerted effort to eat cleaner.  I am not so concerned that I follow any one diet so much as I am concerned that I eat less food overall and that the food I do eat is less processed.  My wife always says, "If you can't pronounce all the ingredients, you probably shouldn't be eating it."  I usually laugh at her and proceed to read the entire ingredient list and then tell her what each thing does.  The joys of being a biologist.  She is right, though.  The more complicated the list, the less healthier it generally is.  Back to the bad food day.  I have been eating more protein and less simple sugar.  I have also tried to avoid foods with artificial sweetners since there is some evidence that some of them may also elicit an insulin response.  I have dropped a few pounds in the last two weeks.  Yesterday, however, I had Hostess type apple pie and a couple of small Cadbury eggs.  I then came home, had a half a sloppy joe sandwich and a few small pieces of pizza.  Not great.  I actually woke up this morning not feeling the best.

On the bright side, I have swam 3750 yards this week, ran twice (three miles each time), taught 2 Body Pump classes, and one Body Attack class.  I will teach Body Step tomorrow and attempt a 5-6 mile run.  It will depend how my feet feel.

I went to the Podiatrist about the Plantar Fasciitis in my left heel and she pretty much told me what I already knew and then proceeded to give me some inserts.  They feel pretty good walking but I tried running in them Wednesday night and managed to only run a mile before they got pretty uncomfortable.  I am hoping that as I lose weight, my feet will respond in kind.

No comments:

Post a Comment